Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The First Part Last
By Angea Johnson

Simon and Schuster, Inc.
New York, NY 2003

Summary:
Bobby and Nia come from very different homes. Both love pizza and dancing, they have another thing in common. They're parents. The first part last is Bobby's view on becoming a father and caring for his little daughter Feather.

"I've been thinking about it. Everything. And when feather opens her eyes and looks up at me, I already know there's change. And i figure if the world were really right, humans would live life backward and do the first part last. They'd be all knowing the beginning and innocent in the end. Then everyone could end their lives on their momma or daddy's stomache in a warm room, wating for the soft morning light."

Personal Review:

I usually have issues with books or movies that glorify teenage pregnancy and encourage YA to keep an infant when they cannot provide a mother and a father for them. Having said that I confess I really liked this book. Sometimes I think when parents are put in this situation- a pregnant daughter or a son who fathered a child they forget that it is possible that their child could love the individual even though they're young. I was amazed at how much Booby loved Nia. He really loved her. Even if he kept the little girl selfishly, to keep a part of Nia for himself, he really loved his girlfriend and daughter.

Warnings: Sex, language

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLAYLIST.COM


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Background

Followers